Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Jeff Atwood just wrote "Coding, after all, is just writing. How hard can it be?". I'm amazed. I really don't like writing and I love coding. Computers and people could not be more different. But Jeff is a people-person so I guess it's understandable that he would say that. I'm going to end up being one if I keep this up.

On a side note, I notice that AVG has finally made a major flub-up. This may be the end of them. I have felt this coming for some time now. In my perception they started out good and gradually became evil. This is a natural progression in a free enterprise system so I'm not condemning it. The flub-up is also part of the process. Companies get fat, lazy and corrupt and young lean hungry companies take their place. And buyers should beware.

Anyway, back to AVG. I checked my wife's computer and user32.dll is still there. She has an older version of AVG because the latest version wouldn't install. So either the update hasn't taken place yet, the problem exists only in the current version, or the slashdot article is just FUD.

On another side note, I've thought a lot about the cross site scripting problem in AMI and come to the conclusion that I have no choice but to parse HTML and sanitize it. Actually the parsing shouldn't be too hard. I just have to recognize tags and exclude the script tags.

No comments: